jueves, 3 de enero de 2013

Clever youtube channels, part I

Drawing by Sarah Xu (http://captainpillow.blogspot.ca/)
She made this drawing for the smarter every day cat video, down below, and here is the process. I think it's amazing:


Este post no está en español porque los videos sólo estan en inglés :/ Pero les recomiendo mucho que vean aunque sea el de los gatitos y como giran. Está abajo. 


 Just like Mike from the PBS idea youtube channel, mentioned in one of his videos, youtube channels aren't only for minecraft and make-up lovers. That being said, I spend a good part of my everyday life watching make-up (and fashion, and music) videos, I love them. But since I found PBS idea's channel (if you haven't seen it click here), I've realized how much I enjoy watching other youtube channels as well. Channels that have nothing to do with beauty. 
To be honest I believe youtube is a really great place to learn new things, and that was my initial appeal towards make-up videos, I didn't know anything about make-up, but now, I'm pretty familiar with it.
The first video I ever watched from PBS idea, was a possible explanation to the question 'why do so many adults love Adventure Time?', I don't want to earn hate in my first posts - if anyone ever reads them -  but I have to say, I do not  love Adventure Time, I don't hate it either, I've just seen a few episodes but it hasn't made me want to go back and watch more to be honest. I am a big fan of cartoons and animations though, and if you put 'animation' and 'nostalgia' in the same sentence, what comes to my mind is actually Studio Ghibli and the works of Hayao Miyazaki.
 But going back to the channel (http://www.youtube.com/pbsideachannel), what that video did do, was make me want to see the rest of the 'ideas'. If you want to know what this channel is about, they describe themselves as a PBS show that examines the connections between pop culture, technology and art. I don't agree with many of their theories - specifically the art related ones - but I enjoy hearing them, a lot, and Mike, the host, is smart, has a pleasant voice and a cute beard.

 I love this video, I agree with most of what he says about genres (I argue with my boyfriend about genres all the time), but I recommend the rest of his videos as well.

________________________________________________________________
I was through pbs idea channel that I found the Smarter Every Day channel, and (obviously) loved the high speed flipping cats video. The image on top was made for that video. If you browse through the rest of the channel,  you can find a lot of interesting stuff, and even though I don't know anything about physics or math, I enjoyed them, they are meant for the general public, and I think most people would do too (if only for the slow motion cat action :p).



 
Maybe this videos are super popular and I don't even know. I'm curious as to what youtube channels other people follow.
:)
-S

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario